Monday 4 March 2013

Silver Linings Playbook: Achieving the trifecta of movie greatness.

OMG I saw Silver Linings Playbook last night. Yes, I know, "welcome to a month ago, Kath". But seriously,  WOW.


Now I'm no movie critic (my main reason for liking a movie is directly correlated to the number of times it makes me cry uncontrollably), but I'm pretty sure that this one was good ... Good Will Hunting good.

Although I'm no critic, I believe that this is one of those movies that can change you. It can make you believe, love, dream. I saw it almost 24 hours ago and can't get it out of my mind (partly because of Bradley Cooper... I mean COME ON). It grabbed onto something in my heart and hasn't let go. It truly achieved the Kathryn Christie Trifecta of Movie Greatness (patent-pending... KCTMG for short):

1. It made me cry tears of sadness AND tears of joy.
2. It RESPECTFULLY and accurately addressed a legitimate societal reality that is in need of attention.
3. It made me root for every character, "good" or "bad".

Let me explain ...

1. Movies that make me cry only tears of sadness are day-ruiners. Because the movie experience doesn't just end when the final credits roll. I weep for a good three hours afterwards (often longer) with no glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel... it's a hot, snotty mess that nobody wants to be a part of. You've gotta mix in a father-son moment or old people kissing/holding hands to get this girl's seal of approval. Silver Linings Playbook had a plethora of father-son moments AND some adorable moments between the mom and dad. STAMPED.

2. This movie talks about mental illness. A big, important elephant that sits in every room and that not nearly enough people acknowledge. So I want to throw up a HUGE high five to everyone involved in this film from the man who wrote the book to the actors ... I believe it was extremely well done. I believe that they did a wonderful job portraying the struggles and triumphs of those living with mental illness and the people close to them.

3. For me, the beauty of a great film is that, although there are always heroes and villains, everyone gets a chance at redemption. I, sometimes to a fault, always look for the good in people. I love a movie that does it too. At some points in SLP, you want to just KNOCK a character out. But, as people often do in real life, the character surprises you... I like that. It makes me smile (and cry, obviously).

So, to conclude, go see this movie if you haven't seen it yet. Talk about it, talk about mental illness, talk about love, talk about happy tears, talk about Bradley Cooper's dreamy eyes. Seriously, they are so dreamy.
“Good movies make you care, make you believe in possibilities again." - Pauline Kael


No comments:

Post a Comment